Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Memorial Day
Yesterday Joel, the kids and I pulled weeds, sprayed weeds, planted, miracle growed, worked in the basement, went running, ran to Lowe's, played in a waterfall, had a bbq with the Swogger side (including most of the Flanagans), etc., etc. It was a beautiful and rejuvenating Memorial Day. I couldn't help but feel the joys of freedom to do all of these things as I choose.
I heard THIS SONG again on Sunday and it has not stopped turning and twisting my heart. He is pleading for the life of his son-in-law who has been wounded in battle. I can't help but wonder how many times the Lord has heard this same prayer cried out by family and friends for their brave soldiers. I whole-heartedly thank all those brave souls, past and present, who have sacrificed everything for their friends, family, and country to preserve freedom. Thank you. I love you and pray for you.
I'm proud to say that my Grandpa Jones, and Joel's Grandpa's Swogger and Huebner stand among these heroes. Now, get some tissue and listen to the song--I lose it every time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Rachel,
It's nice to check in with your family and get a good laugh. I sure miss your fun sense of humor and those darling little ones. I need to call you :)
I'm amazed at how much you can get done in one day! If there was a prize you would get it.
It has been fun to celebrate Memorial Day on the military base. What an experience. Not everyone can say blackhawks land in their backyard!
Thank you for that tribute. We can never repay the price that has been paid for our freedom, but we can live our best lives and feel grateful and know how blessed we are and live worthy of it. (And educate ourselves so we never compromise that freedom!) Thanks for the song. How I ache for all those parents broken hearts and feel their prayers and thank them for their sacrifice!!
What a cutie that Jay is!! Oh how I love that boy (and those two girls and their parents)!! Those eyes will melt my heart no matter what mischief he is ever up too!! Oh-oh--spoiled at Baba's is a guarantee!!
Love your post, love your heart, love your Jay, and love the song! I'm glad you had such a wonderful Memorial Day with your family and my family. Ha! We wish we could be there to hang out with you guys! I'm laughing that I am posting this because I have talked to you on the phone since Memorial Day, but I have access to internet today and I wanted to post on your blog. Tell Joel and the kids we said hello. Tell Eden to enjoy her summer!
Post a Comment